Johnny Key

Commissioner of Education

Read Bio  
A Division of the Arkansas Department of Education

Licensure by Reciprocity


Becoming a Teacher or School Leader button   Educator Support and Development button Educator Workforce Resources and Data button

What is licensure by Reciprocity?

  • Reciprocity means the recognition of a teaching license from another state or country based on the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) licensure rules and/or the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement for Educator Licensure.
  • Licensure in another state or country does not mean licensure in Arkansas will automatically be granted.

o   Type of license must be evaluated

*Ancillary requirements may apply

Reciprocity for Veterans and Military Families

The Arkansas Department of Education values our veterans, military and family members. Our workforce, economic development and students are all enhanced by their contributions. The portability of out of state and Department of Defense educator licenses to Arkansas through the process of reciprocity is just one way we use to attract and retain the services of these highly valued educators. Priority is given to processing these applications in the most efficient and timely manner. Official transcripts may be sent, from the university, electronically, to

What steps must I take to apply for Reciprocity?

Request a Reciprocity packet from ADE by emailing (Please include a name and mailing address where you would like to receive the packet).

  1. Submit completed packet:

a.     Online application 

b.     Official Transcripts

c.     Copy of current or expired out of state educator’s license

d.     Content area testing required for the out-of-state license, if applicable

e.     Documentation of three years licensed teaching experience, if applicable

Verification of T eaching Form

f.     National Board of Professional Teaching Standards certification, if applicable

What about background checks?

What happens once I have submitted the above listed documentation?

  • Evaluation of all documents
  • If applicable, a written response letter shall be sent to the educator within two weeks listing deficiencies.

When is a Provisional license available?

  • If all requirements for the standard license have been met except:

o   Content testing

o   Arkansas History (If applicable)

  • The verification of provisional licensure eligibility form, VOPLE, will be sent when the applicant has submitted all documents required for the provisional license.
  • The Provisional license will be issued upon receipt of the signed VOPLE from the employing superintendent.

What licensure areas are required to take Arkansas History?

  • Early Childhood, Elementary Education, Middle Childhood Social Studies and Secondary Social Studies

Where can I take Arkansas History?

  • One of the accredited two or four year institutions in Arkansas or
  • A 45 clock hour professional development course through Arkansas IDEAS

If Praxis exams are assessed, how do I register for them?

What additional items will I need if I am an educator from out of country?

*Documentation of successful completion of the ADE approved content area and pedagogy assessments must be submitted for the standard license.


For more information, please contact:

Office of Educator Licensure
Arkansas Department of Education
Four Capitol Mall, Room 106-B
Little Rock, AR 72201
Phone:  501-682-4342
Fax:  501-682-4898
Office email:

State Standards

Learn more about the standards that define the knowledge and skills Arkansas students should have in order to be ready for college and careers.

Learn More

Licensure & Certification

Find critical information about renewing Arkansas educator licenses, adding areas of licensure, licensing by reciprocity from other states, background checks and more.

Learn More


Learn More


Learn More