Alternative Routes to Licensure
Choosing Your Alternative Pathway to Becoming a Teacher
If you hold a bachelor’s degree (non-education) and would like to transition into teaching, you must complete an alternative route program to obtain a teaching license.
Choosing a pathway to licensure can be daunting. To make the decision easier, ask yourself a few questions:
- What do I want to teach (subject/grade level)?
- In what part of the state am I willing to teach?
- Do I want to go back to school for an educator’s license?
- Do I have three years of work experience in my desired teaching field?
Similarly, here are a few criteria to consider when reviewing alternative routes:
- Is my desired certification area offered in this program? Please click the link for the Alt Prep Routes Comparison.
- What are admission requirements?
- What kind of school can I work in while I complete my internship (private, charter, public)?
- How much does it cost?
Ways to Become an Arkansas Teacher Through an Alternative Route Program or Pathway
Click on the links below for more information.
|Arkansas Teacher Corps
|Master of Arts in Teaching
|Teach for America
|Highly Qualified Professor
|Provisional Professional Teaching License