Arkansas Qualified Teacher AQT
The Division of Elementary and Secondary Education has instituted Arkansas Qualified Teacher (AQT) requirements.
Core Academic Subject Areas are:
An Arkansas Qualified Teacher must have:
Using the AQT Designation Form, demonstration of content knowledge may be achieved by any one of the following:
- Passed a content area assessment approved by the State Board of Education for the subject/content/grade level the educator will teach
- Passed a content exam which was accepted as demonstration of content knowledge for a teaching license in another state that is acceptable through reciprocity for an Arkansas teaching license
- Has a bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in the content area
- Has a minimum of 18 college credit hours in the content area
- Has National Board Certification in the content area
- Has documented successful, relevant work experience in the content area,established by at least one year of employment in a specific field or occupation that required the educator to demonstrate knowledge and skills in the content area. This is to be supported by two professional letters of recommendation from the educator’s employers or supervisors.
For Special Education or ALE teachers who do not meet any of the above conditions, demonstration of content knowledge may be met by either:
a. Achieving a passing score on the Praxis® Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge Exam (5511),
with a minimum score of 148, or
b. Having the appropriate number of points via Section II of the AQT Designation Form.