Adding to a License
Add a Degree
Add an Area or Level to a License
Teachers and administrators may add an additional area of licensure to the standard Arkansas teaching license - online application. The Additional Licensure Plan (ALP) will need to be filed with your school district and with the Office of Educator Licensure only if you are teaching out of area. If you are not teaching out of area, the ALP will be used only as a guide for how to add additional areas of licensure. To add an area through an ALP or Administrator Licensure Completion Plan (ALCP), please see the instructions and requirements at Licensure Exceptions.
Two Ways to Add Areas of Licensure or Endorsements
(1) Testing Out
- Educators may test out of additional areas of licensure/endorsements that are at the level of their initial licensure area, or one level above or below the level of their initial licensure area.
- Educators cannot test out of Special Education, Birth – Kindergarten; Exception Area Endorsements; Adult Education; areas of Educational Leadership and Supervision; or Ancillary Student Services areas.
- The Office of Educator Licensure will add the new area upon receipt of a completed and signed licensure application form requesting the new area with a copy of the Praxis II Specialty Area score report reflecting a passing score for the area to be added.
- New Exam for Testing Out of Elementary Education (K-6): In addition to current requirements, an applicant for an Elementary Education (K-6) license who is adding the area by testing out after September 1, 2017, shall pass the Pearson Foundations of Reading Test. (Act 416 of 2017) The link to the testing website will be provided as soon as it is available.
New Exam for Adding Elementary Education (K-6) or Special Education (K-12) by Program of Study: In addition to current requirements, an applicant for an Elementary Education (K-6) or a Special Education (K-12) license who is adding the area by a program of study, and begins the program of study or pathway in or after the Fall semester of the 2017-2018 academic year shall pass the Foundations of Reading Test. (Act 416 of 2017) The link to the testing website will be provided as soon as it is available.
(2) Program of Study and Required Assessment
- Whenever an area of licensure/endorsement cannot be added by testing out, the educator shall document on an official college transcript, the successful completion of all coursework that is required for adding the new area of licensure. A current Praxis II score report reflecting a passing score for the subject area being added shall also be provided by the educator. The application must be recommended by an approved Arkansas university licensure officer. An applicant whose coursework was completed more than 10 years prior to the date of application shall complete current requirements. When coursework has been completed through an out-of-state university, the area must first be applied to the out-of-state license.
Teachers and administrators interested in adding an additional area of licensure are encouraged to refer to the Rules Governing Educator Licensure that pertain to adding areas of licensure as adopted by the State Board of Education. The definition section of the rules and regulations for additional areas will be helpful. Pay particular attention to those additional areas of licensure defined as exception areas. These areas cannot be added by testing out. They can be added only by completing the program of study and the required Praxis assessment.
In addition, individuals holding an educator license in the Ancillary Student Services areas of School Psychology Specialist, Speech Pathology, and in Adult Education, may not add areas of licensure without completing a program of study to include an internship/student teaching for an area of general education, the required Praxis II specialty area exam(s), and the Principles of Learning and Teaching assessment at the appropriate level.