Renewing a License
In an effort to deliver improved customer service and reduce costs, the Office of Educator Licensure will no longer print a paper license upon renewal. You may print a copy of your license from the Educator View screen at https://aels.ade.arkansas.gov/AELS/Account/TeacherLogin.aspx or click on
License Renewal Steps
1. New cleared background checks are required for renewal. Please visit Background Check Directions.
a. Complete and print the Online Background Check Consent Form
b. Make online payment for the Arkansas State Police (ASP), and Federal Bureau Investigation (FBI)
background checks. This will generate a transaction ID #
c. Take the transaction ID # to a live scan location for electronic fingerprinting
d. Complete the Child Maltreatment Central Registry Form
2. Complete the online application for renewal at https://aels.ade.arkansas.gov/AELS/Account/TeacherLogin.aspx.
NOTE: Paper applications are no longer accepted.
3. Your $75 application fee shall be paid at the time of application unless the school district will be paying. The link to pay is located within the application. All fees are nonrefundable.
4. If you have continuously taught in an Arkansas public school and completed the required yearly professional development for all of the previous five years, it should be reflected in the application after July 1 of the expiring year. Do not upload certificates for professional development. If your professional development is not reflected, you may upload this form signed by your administrator: Verification Form for Professional Development.
5. If you have not taught for all of the previous five school years but completed professional development you may upload the certificates into one PDF document or if completed on Arkansas Ideas the Record of Learning. https://ideaslms.aetn.org/guides/record-of-learning-tutorial.php Please visit Professional Development Requirements.
6. If you have not completed the required professional development, mark accordingly on the application.
- The standard, five-year Arkansas Educator License has a beginning date of January 1 of the year it is issued and an expiration date of December 31 of the fifth year.
- Educators may begin the renewal process at any time during the fifth year of their educator license.
- The required fee for the renewal of a standard educator license may be paid online.
- New ASP, FBI, and Child Maltreatment background checks are required.
Professional Development Schedule and Standard Educator Licensure Renewal
All teachers and administrators must be able to document the required professional development hours annually for the renewal of their standard teaching license. All professional development must be completed within either of the following cycles during each year: June 1 to May 31 or July 1 to June 30.
ATTENTION: All above requirements only pertain to renewing a license, not your employer's requirements.
Individuals are strongly encouraged to download a copy of the current Rules for Professional Development and become thoroughly familiar with information regarding specific professional development activities required annually.
Teachers and administrators attached to public schools, education cooperatives, public charter schools, the Arkansas School for Math and Sciences, the Arkansas School for the Deaf or the Arkansas School for the Blind will work through their employer to acquire the necessary professional development on an annual basis. The employer will be responsible for maintaining verification of the professional development completed for each teacher/administrator and reporting to ADE annually for the renewal of teaching licenses. Instructions for the reporting of professional development to ADE will come through a Commissioner’s Memo.
Teachers and administrators attached to private schools, Arkansas colleges/universities, or other agencies or organizations that employ licensed teachers, will be responsible for working through those employers to complete their required professional development each year or finding professional development opportunities on their own. Forms for the verification of professional development necessary for the renewal of a standard teaching license are available in the related files section on this page.
Individuals that are not employed will be responsible for securing the required hours of professional development annually. The submission of paperwork documenting the completion of the required professional development each year will not occur until the time of renewal. At that time, the teacher will submit the completed application form for the renewal of the teaching license and attach the forms verifying professional development activities for each year of the previous five (5) years.
Verification for Individual Professional Development Training Form - This form may be used to document a single professional development activity. While this form may be used by all teachers, it will be most helpful for those teachers that are not employed, as a way of verifying completion of the 36 hours of professional development required annually. This form will accompany the application for licensure renewal, only for those teachers not employed.
Verification of Professional Development for Licensure Renewal Form- This form may be used to verify professional development and the required work experience necessary for the renewal of a standard Arkansas teaching license for teachers that are employed in non-public school settings (or other agencies/organizations requiring a licensed teacher) and institutions of higher education. This form will accompany the application for the renewal of a teaching license.