Teaching Chinese in Arkansas
Hanban and the University of Central Arkansas Confucius Institute (UCA CI) offer the Teach Chinese in Arkansas program bringing Chinese language and culture to Arkansas schools. Hanban is a public institution affiliated with the Chinese Ministry of Education. The UCA CI is a non-profit, public organization working under the auspices of Hanban.
Program highlights include:
- Hanban and UCA CI pay $12,000 of each Chinese teacher’s salary. Individual salaries are to be in accordance with the district’s salary scale for a new teacher with a master’s degree (not to be below the state minimum for teachers with master’s degrees).
- Chinese teachers have master’s degrees in teaching Chinese as a Second Language.
- Chinese teachers participate in this program for two years; however, Hanban and the UCA CI may provide funding and support for an additional year. Adding the third year is contingent upon approval of the UCA CI and the U.S. Department of State.
- Foreign language Arkansas Educator Licenses are K-12.
- Chinese teachers with the International Baccalaureate (IB) certification may be available upon request.
A Confucius Classroom Grant from Hanban and the UCA CI is available for districts participating in the Teach Chinese in Arkansas program. Some restrictions apply. The grant includes one-time start-up funds of $30,000 for Chinese classroom resources and China Exploratory Interactive Media Equipment. The grant also provides up to $10,000 in annual operating funds to be used for Chinese classroom resources, forums, conferences, exhibitions, and events related to Chinese language and culture.
For more information, contact the UCA CI: http://uca.edu/confucius/.
Teaching in Taiwan
The Arkansas Department of Education and the Ministry of Education in the Republic of China (Taiwan) offer Arkansas teachers the opportunity to teach and study in Taiwanese schools for one academic year. Teachers licensed in any content area are invited to apply to teach English to Taiwan students in grades 1-9.
For more information, contact a program sponsor from the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Houston, Texas:
Education Division, Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Houston: http://www.moetw.org/.