“No person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, or national origin be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program to which this part applies.”
The following are examples of the types of discrimination that are covered under Title VI: racial harassment; school segregation, denial of language services to English learners, and denial of enrollment based on immigration status.
Arkansas Code Annotated § 6-10-111(d) requires each school district or charter school to annually report to the Arkansas Division of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) Equity Assistance Center regarding its compliance with civil rights responsibilities, which is documented in the Equity Compliance Report. The Equity Assistance Center requests that every public school district and charter school designate at least one employee to coordinate their efforts to comply with Title VI responsibilities, referred to as the Title VI Coordinator. Locate your district or charter school’s Title VI Coordinator here: ADE Data Center.
The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) of the U.S. Department of Education is responsible for enforcing Title VI; however, a role of the Arkansas Division of Elementary and Secondary Education’s Equity Assistance Center is to provide technical assistance to school systems concerning Title VI.
For more information, please contact:
Oliver Dillingham, Public School Program Manager
Arkansas Department of Education
Division of Elementary and Secondary Education
Four Capitol Mall, Mail Slot 25
Little Rock, AR 72201
Darrell Farmer, Public School Program Advisor
Lasonia Johnson, Public School Program Advisor
Lance LeVar, Public School Program Advisor
- OCR: Ensuring Students Have Equal Access to Educational Resources Without Regard to Race, Color, or National Origin
- OCR: Information on the Rights of All Children to Enroll in School
- OCR: Ensuring English Learner Students Can Participate Meaningfully and Equally in Educational Programs
- OCR: Information for Limited English Proficient (LEP) Parents and Guardians and for Schools and School Districts that Communicate with Them
- EAC Section 504 Complaint Form – English
- EAC Section 504 Complaint Form – Spanish (Español)
- EAC Section 504 Complaint Form – Vietnamese (Việt-ngữ)