Purple Star Schools
The Arkansas Purple Star School Award
The Arkansas Purple Star School Award for military-friendly schools recognizes schools that show a major commitment to serving students and families connected to our nation’s armed forces. Purple Star awardees receive a special Purple Star recognition to display in their building and are recognized on the Arkansas Department of Education Division of Elementary and Secondary Education website.
HOW TO QUALIFY
Schools must fulfill all the required activities, plus one of the three optional activities listed below.
- The school must designate a School Military Liaison (SML) to serve as a point of contact for military-connected students and families. The SMEC serves as the primary liaison between them and the school. The SML could be a counselor, administrator, teacher or another staff member;
- The SML completes training on special considerations for military-connected students and families similar to training provided for District Military Education Coordinators under ACA 6-28-116. The SML may contact the Military and Veterans Liaison at the Division of Elementary and Secondary Education to arrange for the professional development;
- The SML identifies and informs teachers of the military-connected students in their classrooms and the special considerations military-connected students and families should receive; and
- The district school board passes a resolution of the school or district’s support for military-connected students and families. Click here for a Sample District Resolution; and
- The school keeps a dedicated page on its website featuring resources for military families.
- The SML coordinates professional development on federally identified special considerations for military-connected students and families in the areas of a) records and enrollment, b) placement and attendance, c) eligibility, and d) graduation; or
- The SML coordinates awareness training for military-connected family members; or
- The school hosts a military recognition event to demonstrate a military-friendly culture at the school.
HOW TO APPLY
Application is made online on the Arkansas Department of Education Division of Elementary and Secondary Education website at Purple Star School Application. Applications may be submitted at any time Applications will be reviewed by the Awards Committee of the Arkansas Council for Military Children and then voted during the next meeting of the Council.
Schools to be awarded Purple Star status will be announced within thirty (30) days following approval by the Council. Each school awarded the distinction of Purple Star School will receive a distinctive banner to display on campus. A sortable list of current Arkansas Purple Star Schools will be posted on the Arkansas Department of Education Division of Elementary and Secondary Education website.
Each Purple Star school holds its designation as long as it continues to meet the requirements stated above. The SML shall submit a letter or e-mail verifying compliance to the Council chair annually by September 1.
Public school districts in which all schools have achieved the Arkansas Purple Star School award shall be designated as Purple Star Districts and may use this designation on their websites. A sortable list of Arkansas Purple Star School districts is available on the Arkansas Department of Education Division of Elementary and Secondary Education website.
For more information, please contact: