Title I, Part A Preschool Program
As stated in ESEA reauthorization of 1965, LEAs may reserve funds to provide early childhood education programs for eligible children. However, LEAs are not required to reserve Title I, Part A funds for preschool programs. Section 1113(c)(5).”
LEAs must include in their district plans each provision to coordinate Title I programs with Head Start agencies and any other early childhood program. These coordinated efforts, should include the following: ESSA Section 1119(a)).
- Developing and implementing a systematic procedure for receiving records regarding such children, transferred with parental consent from a Head Start program or, where applicable, another early childhood education program;
- Establishing channels of communication between school staff and their counterparts (including teachers, social workers, and health staff) in such Head Start agencies or other entities carrying out early childhood education programs, as appropriate, to facilitate coordination of programs;
- Conducting meetings involving parents, kindergarten or elementary school teachers, and Head Start teachers or, if appropriate, teachers from other early childhood education programs, to discuss the developmental and other needs of individual children;
- Organizing and participating in joint transition-related training of school staff, Head Start program staff, and, where appropriate, other early childhood education program staff; and
- Linking the educational services provided by such LEA with the services provided by local Head Start agencies (ESSA Section 1119(b).
For additional information, see links under "Related Files" on this page.