The purposes of the Title III (Sec. 3102) Program are to:
- help ensure that English learners, including immigrant children and youth, attain English proficiency and develop high levels of academic achievement in English;
- assist all English learners, including immigrant children and youth, to achieve at high levels in academic subjects so that all English learners can meet the same challenging State academic standards that all children are expected to meet;
- assist teachers (including preschool teachers), principals and other school leaders, State educational agencies, local educational agencies, and schools in establishing, implementing, and sustaining effective language instruction educational programs designed to assist in teaching English learners, including immigrant children and youth;
- assist teachers (including preschool teachers), principals and other school leaders, State educational agencies, and local educational agencies to develop and enhance their capacity to provide effective instructional programs designed to prepare English learners, including immigrant children and youth, to enter all-English instructional settings; and
- promote parental, family, and community participation in language instruction educational programs for the parents, families, and communities of English learners.
Due Date for Title III Application: Last Thursday of June
The Title III application and funding is based on the number of EL students that an individual LEA reported to the Arkansas Division of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) on Cycle 2 as well as the number of Title III served students in private schools reported in Cycle 6 in the prior school year. Section 3114 (a) and (b) indicates that a “State educational agency shall not award a sub grant if the amount of the sub grant is less than $10,000.” In order to apply for an individual Title III grant, an individual LEA must have a minimum allocation of $10,000 based on the number of EL students that were reported to DESE in the prior school year. LEAs that do not meet the $10,000 threshold may form a consortium to apply for funds. If a consortium is formed, a fiscal agent must be designated. Please contact the Title III Co-Coordinators listed below if needing more information about forming a Title III consortium.
Title III funds must “supplement and not supplant” [3115(f) (2) (g)] Lau Requirements, i.e. required state- and locally funded ELD (English language development) to be provided to each EL student in the LEA. To ensure that LEAs meet this requirement, the Title III Application requires applicants to demonstrate how they will meet Lau Requirements before explaining how they plan to use Title III funds.
LIEP (Language Instruction Education Program)
PD (Professional Development)
FCE (Family Community Engagement)
Optional expenditures: AA (Authorized Activities)
Language Instruction Education Program descriptions
School Funding Reports (Carryover, Federal Fund Statements, and Funding Notifications)
Due Date for Title III Recent Immigrant Application: Fourth Thursday in January
- Determined in November based on Cycle 2 Recent Immigrant count compared to prior 2 years
- At least 15 Recent Immigrants
- 35% increase over average of the prior 2 years
- Generate >$10,000 grant
- 2021-22 minimum recent immigrant count was 163 (if met above criteria)
Qualifying Districts will be notified by December and invited to complete an application in Indistar