Step 2: Strengthen Written Agreements
How can I strengthen my written agreements?
When working with 3rd party providers, it is important to establish a high level of trust and expectations when contracting out services.
"Data breaches involving student and staff personal information were the most reported type of incident. In 75 percent of these cases, it was the security practices of school vendors and partners providing administrative services to school districts that were the root cause."
- Douglas A. Levin
Written agreements provide transparency and accountability for how our students' data is stored, utilized, and protected. Developing stronger agreements can be accomplished by establishing a local contract mapping process, incorporating a checklist when reviewing agreements, and adopting a district-approved data privacy agreement to be used with 3rd party providers.
- K-12 Community Vendor Assessment Tool
- Sample Contract Mapping Diagram
- Contract Mapping Documentation
- PTAC Written Agreement Checklist
- SDPC National Data Privacy Agreement
- SDPC National Research Data Privacy Agreement
- PTAC Model Terms of Service
- Request PTAC Technical Assistance
- PTAC Protecting Student Privacy While Using Online Education Services