Resources for Students
Social Media Awareness Campaign
SMACtalk for Students provides student-focused resources related to social media awareness and internet safety. On this page you will find age appropriate videos, interactive games, and other fun activities that are designed to help students become better digital citizens. Topics and resources are updated each month so there is always something new and exciting to discover.
Jump to a monthly topic:
- Online Dangers
- Establishing an Online Presence
- Privacy Protection
- Vetting Information
- Healthy Virtual Relationships
- Online Etiquette
- Introduction to SMACtalk
Unplugging( back to topics )
- Unplug to Connect, Improving How Screen Technologies Impact Families
- Media Balance & Well Being, Grades 6–8: Digital Citizenship Family Activity
Online Dangers( back to topics )
Establishing an Online Presence( back to topics )
- Creating a Positive Online Presence
- Leaving a Digital Footprint
- How to Build a Positive Teen Instagram Profile
- Digital Reputation Checklist (PDF)
Privacy Protection( back to topics )
- Social Smarts: privacy, the Internet and you, graphic novel
Vetting Information( back to topics )
In "Factitious," players read abbreviated news stories and have to swipe right if they think they’re real or swipe left if they think they’re fake.
Take our Fake or Foto challenge and see if you can tell the difference between our real photos and those which are computer generated.
This media literacy game teaches players how to detect and disregard disinformation and misinformation in today’s chaotic environment.
Some things are so amazing, we're not sure if they're Real or Photoshop. Can you tell? Test your powers of observation.
Healthy Virtual Relationships( back to topics )
- My Rules for Internet Safety (Elementary), NetSmartz
Online Etiquette( back to topics )
- The Core Rules of Netiquette, from Netiquette by Virginia Shea
Introduction to SMACtalk( back to topics )
- Wide Open School powered by Common Sense Media
- NetSmartz online safety education program
- Watch videos, play games, and have fun on NetsmartzKids.org