Child Nutrition Training
Division of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) Rules Governing the Certification and Continuing Professional Development of Child Nutrition Directors, Managers and Workers (March 2005) (PDF)
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Hiring Requirements and Professional Standards for Child Nutrition Directors (effective July 1, 2015), Updated (PDF)
Food Service Assistants / Workers
- Guidance from the Institute of Child Nutrition – Competencies, Knowledge, and Skills for School Nutrition Assistants and Technicians (PDF)
- Arkansas Certification Rules require at least 10 hours of documented annual Child Nutrition specific professional development
- Guidance from the Institute of Child Nutrition - Competencies, Knowledge, and Skills for School Nutrition Managers, 2018 (PDF)
- Arkansas Certification Rules and USDA Professional Standards require at least 10 hours of documented annual Child Nutrition specific professional development
- Guidance from the Institute of Child Nutrition – Competencies, Knowledge, and Skills for District Level School Nutrition Personnel in the 21st Century (PDF)
- USDA Professional Standards require at least 12 hours of documented annual Child Nutrition specific professional development
- School Nutrition Specialist (SNS) Credential – Successfully completing the requirements for the School Nutrition Association’s SNS Credential is an alternate method of becoming a Certified Child Nutrition Director in Arkansas. The SNS Credentialing Exam Handbook and Application has more information.
Online Training from DESE, Child Nutrition
This open date yearly planner provides a monthly layout for tracking goals and scheduling tasks. It also highlights ICN’s eLearning Portal features, most popular courses, and frequently asked questions. Order your copy here.
This is a training for teachers to learn principles of healthy eating. Content focuses on the Standard American Diet and how it impacts our health; basic nutrition; label reading; principles of healthy eating; planning and shopping for healthy eating; cooking demos focused on putting principles of healthy eating into practice; and goal setting for healthy eating.