Office of Education Ombudsmen
The office of the Education Ombudsman was developed in compliance with Ark. Code Ann. 6-17-429 to assist and support the Right to Read and associated literacy legislation. The Education Ombudsman acts as a liaison between schools, parents, and DESE to promote the effective implementation of the science of reading.
The office of the Education Ombudsman can:
- Provide parents, guardians, school district personnel an opportunity to share concerns about pertinent literacy legislation.
- Review and issue or concern related to the literacy education of a public school student enrolled in a public or open-enrollment public charter school.
- Listen to and facilitate solutions solutions to concerns pertaining to reading education in Arkansas.
- Recommend training and resources to a public school or district.
- Request support and assistance from DESE to be provided to a public school or district.
For more information, please contact:Carol Heringer, Education Ombudsman
Arkansas Department of Education
Division of Elementary and Secondary Education
Four Capitol Mall, Room 202-B
Little Rock, Arkansas 72201
Phone: (501) 682-3702