2018 Computer Science Education Week Announcements
December 3-9, 2018 marked Computer Science Education Week. This page features Arkansas's computer science announcements made during that week.
Arkansas Becomes First State to Launch CrashCourse, a Virtual Reality Concussion Education Program, Statewide - Saturday, December 1, 2018
Press Release: /public/userfiles/news/2018/Arkansas_Becomes_First_State_to_Launch_Virtual_Reality_Concussion_Education_Program_Statewide.pdf
K-8 Computer Science Lead Teacher Stipend and Training Program Continued and Expanded for 2018 - Monday, December 3, 2018
Commissioner's Memo: https://adecm.ade.arkansas.gov/ViewApprovedMemo.aspx?Id=3834
Press Release: /public/userfiles/news/2018/Gov._Hutchinson_Announces_Expansion_of_Stipend_Training_Program_December_3_2018.pdf
- Q: How does an interested educator sign up? - A: An interested educator begins the process by registering for and completing the summer training/professional development.
- Q: Where do I sign up for the required training/PD? - A: An interested educator will sign up through the Educational Service Cooperatives that will offer the training; however, do not contact them yet. To sign up for the K-8 Computer Science Lead Teacher Stipend and Training Program, educators must register for a 5-day (30 hour) K-8 Computer Science Lead Teacher Training Session, which will be posted at http://bit.ly/CSforARPD as scheduled. Spots will be limited and assigned on a first-to-register basis." Our team is confirming the dates and should begin posting those over the next couple of weeks.
- Q: Who can participate? - A: Any Arkansas licensed educator whose primary assignment is to an Arkansas public school that houses predominantly K-8 students and can meet the program requirements.
- Q: How does an educator add the required 528 Computer Science Endorsement? - A: Please visit and read the ADE/ARCareerEd Fact Sheet, specifically the section regarding licensure, which begins on page 2. However, the direct answer is, Any teacher with a standard license will be able to add the 4-12 computer science endorsement to their license by taking and meeting the ADE approved cut score on the Praxis™ Computer Science (#5651) exam and submitting an Arkansas Educator Licensure Application.
- Q: Why isn't there a stipend program for high-school computer science teachers? - A: There is! See Commissioner's Memo COM-19-054 and no, a teacher cannot participate in both stipend programs!
$1,000.00 Conference Sponsorships for the 2019 Computer Science Teachers Association Annual Conference in Phoenix - Tuesday, December 4, 2018
Commissioner's Memo: https://adecm.ade.arkansas.gov/ViewApprovedMemo.aspx?Id=3837
Press Release: /public/userfiles/news/2018/ADE_to_Provide_Sponsorships_for_Teachers_to_Attend_National_Computer_Science_Conference_December_4_2018.pdf
Press Release (Announcing Winners): /public/userfiles/news/2019/ADE_Announces_18_Recipients_of_1000_Sponsorships_to_Attend_Computer_Science_Conference_2019.pdf
No Announcement in Honor of the National Day of Mourning - Wednesday, December 5, 2018
Governor Hutchinson, ADE Announce Creation of Computer Science Educator of the Year Award - Thursday, December 6, 2018
Press Release: https://governor.arkansas.gov/news-media/press-releases/governor-hutchinson-ade-announce-creation-of-computer-science
- ADE will announce the application process via a Commissioner’s Memo by January 31, 2019.
- The application window will be open during February, and the five finalists will be announced in March.
- The 2019 Arkansas Computer Science Educator of the Year will be named in late spring.
Innovation in Computer Science School Grant Program - Winners Announced - Thursday, December 6, 2018
Commissioner's Memo: https://adecm.ade.arkansas.gov/ViewApprovedMemo.aspx?Id=3843
Press Release: /public/userfiles/news/2018/15_Schools_and_Districts_Receive_Computer_Science_Grants_Totaling_More_than_240000_2018.pdf
Submitted applications for each of the programs approved may be viewed by clicking on the school name below:
- Fort Smith School District: $24,800.00
- Genoa Central School District: $19,943.00
- Greenland School District: $24,949.65
- Harrisburg Elementary School (Harrisburg School District): $19,871.40
- Jacksonville North Pulaski School District: $6,845.50
- Kirby School District: $5,605.17
- Lake Hamilton School District: $23,368.25
- Lakeside School District (Hot Springs): $7,137.92
- Little Rock School District: $7,000.00
- Manila High School (Manila School District): $12,139.52
- Monticello High School (Monticello School District): $20,000.00
- Ouachita River School District: $5,201.02
- Parkers Chapel School District: $19,937.00
- Springdale School District: $25,000.00
- Westside High School (Westside Consolidated School District): $20,000.00
#ARKidsCanCode / #RISEArkansas Announcement for Computer Science Education Week 2018 - Friday, December 7, 2018
Commissioner's Memo: https://adecm.ade.arkansas.gov/ViewApprovedMemo.aspx?Id=3844
Press Release: /public/userfiles/news/2018/ADE_Reading_and_Computer_Science_Initiatives_to_Provide_Books_and_Coding_Devices_to_Teachers_and_School_Libraries_2018.pdf
Additional/Clarifying Information: Books will be mailed to schools within the coming weeks.
Other Archived Announcements
2017 Computer Science Education Week Announcements
For more information, please contact:
Four Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201
State Director of Computer Science Education
Office of Computer Science Program Advisor