Frequently Asked Questions

The following are some of the most frequently asked questions that our Division receives. If you cannot find something you are looking for please visit the Contact Us page to contact the correct unit regarding your question.

Family Support


Special Nutrition

  • Who can participate in the CACFP Programs?
  • How do I apply for one of the Special Nutrition Programs?
    • All of our program applications are now online. Please go to SNP Application Web site or call (501) 682-8869 for additional information.
  • What is a Day Care Home?
    • Day Care Home means an organized non-residential child care program for children enrolled in a private home, licensed or approved as a family or group day care home and under the auspices of a sponsoring organization. Sponsor information can be obtained from the Special Nutrition Program office at (501) 682-8869.
  • What is the Summer Food Service Program?
  • How can I become a Sponsor for the Summer Program?
    • Units of local government, camps, schools and private non-profit organizations can sponsor the SFSP. As a sponsor, you will attend the State agency’s training, locate eligible sites, hire, train and supervise staff, arrange meals to be prepared and delivered, monitor sites and prepare claims for reimbursement.
  • Who can qualify for National School Lunch Program?
  • Can you be on the School Breakfast Program and the Milk Program without being on the National School Lunch Program?
    • Yes.

If you need to file a complaint of discrimination, write or call:

USDA, Director
Office of Civil Rights Room 326-W, Whitten Building
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20250-9410
(202) 720-5964 (Voice and TDD)

Child Care Assistance Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I participate in the voucher program?

Applications may be submitted to or contact the Family Support Unit at 1-800-322-8176.

Q. Once I’m approved for Child Care Services how often will my case by reevaluated?

Low-Income redeterminations shall be completed based on the provider’s Better Beginnings Level. Better Beginnings Level two (2) are re-determined once a year. Better Beginnings Level three (3) are re-determined every two years.

Q. Why was I sent a denial letter?

The case record must document that each eligibility requirement has been met before services may be granted.

Q. How do I appeal a denial decision?

Whenever an application is denied, or an adverse action is taken on a case, the client will be informed in writing of the decision and of the right for a review of the decision.  The notice to the applicant/client must state that he/she has ten (10) days from the date of the Notice of Action in which to submit a request to Internal Review of the decision.

Q. When will my Child Care begin?

The effective date of child care services will be the date that the Program Eligibility Specialist makes a determination that all eligibility requirements have been met (not the date on the application), and a Certificate of Authorization has been keyed into the child care system.

Q. I am moving to another county, how do I change my child care provider?

When a client notifies the Program Eligibility Specialist that he/she is moving to another county and wants the day care case to remain open, the Program Eligibility Specialist in the original county must contact the Program Eligibility Specialist in the new county.

Childcare Assistance Change Form