Calculation of Indirect Cost Rates
Indirect cost rates are calculated each year for all school districts, educational cooperatives, and open-enrollment charter schools. These rates are based on expenditure data from the second-preceding fiscal year using a carryforward methodology.
Effective November 2020, (20-21 subaward form submitted, 22-23 indirect cost rate) the subaward amount increased from $25,000 to $30,000.
- ADE delegation agreement with USDE (PDF)
- Subaward Examples (PDF)
- Subaward Reporting Form (XLSX)
- 2021-22 School District Rates
- 2021-22 Educational Services Cooperative Rates
- 2021-22 Open Enrollment Charter Rates
Application of Indirect Cost Rates
Indirect costs are used to recover expenses related to a federal program that cannot be charged directly. This recovery is still subject to the LEAs budget restrictions. This is a working excel document to help calculate the actual amount of funds the district can take for indirect costs.
Prior Year Indirect Cost Rates
Districts, charters and educational cooperatives charging indirect costs must keep documentation showing indirect cost rates for audit purposes. The rates listed below are for historical purposes and should not be used on current year expenditures.
- 2020-21 School District Rates
- 2020-21 Educational Services Cooperative Rates
- 2020-21 Open Enrollment Charter Rates