Community Service Learning
Partner site applications are taken to the State Board for approval twice a year, in July and December. If you wish to submit a partner site application, please email these to email@example.com by June 5 and November 5 so that they may be added to the document for the State Board’s agenda.
Districts that wish to provide a Community Service Learning program must complete a district plan and submit it to DESE through the Course Approval System. If you would like to check to see if your district has a plan on file, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Service Learning:
- A method whereby students learn and develop through active participation in thoughtfully organized service that is conducted in and meets the needs of communities;
- All eligible community service learning activities or programs must include preparation, action, and reflection components;
- An approach to teaching and learning in which students use academic knowledge and skills to address genuine community needs;
- A way to help foster civic responsibility;
- Is more than just volunteering - activities must benefit the community in some way;
- Coordinated with an elementary school, secondary school, institution of higher education, or community service program and the community.
Act 648 of 1993 states that beginning with the 1996-97 school year, "a student who has completed a minimum of seventy-five (75) clock hours of documented community service in grades nine (9) through twelve (12), at any certified service agency or a part of a service-learning school program shall be eligible to receive one (1) academic credit that may be applied toward graduation."
For more information, please contact:
- CSL Webinar Presentation
- CSL Partner Site Application
- CSL District Plan Template
- Community Service Learning - Arkansas Code Annotated
- Act 648 of 1993
- CSL Guidance Document
- Global Youth Service Day
- An Approach to Implementing Community Service Learning
- Service Learning in Arkansas Toolkit and Resource Directory