Arkansas Medicaid in the Schools
MISSION: The Medicaid In the Schools (MITS) program serves as a liaison for Local Education Agencies (LEA) to support the administration of school-based Medicaid reimbursement. MITS assists districts to maximize health resources and revenue to promote the Whole Child Model including special education services.
The Division of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) Medicaid in the Schools program provides guidance, leadership, and technical assistance to support schools in operating effective Medicaid programs. Medicaid is a federally funded program administered by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Medicaid is a critical source of health care coverage for children, providing access to comprehensive and preventative child health programs. The provision of Medicaid revenue provides for school districts to offer sustainable, medically necessary supports for students to have every opportunity to be academically successful. Schools deliver a broad range of Medicaid reimbursable school-based services to students at school. These services include:
- Therapy Services: Occupational, Physical, and Speech
- Early and Periodic, Screening, Diagnostic, and Treatment (EPSDT) - the vision and hearing portion
- Audiology Services
- Personal Care
- School-Based Mental Health Services
Per Arkansas Code Annotated § 6-10-119, public school districts should increase direct-service Medicaid billing by district staff or enter into an agreement with an education service cooperative or other public or private entity for the provision of direct Medicaid billing services.
All school-based Medicaid billable services provided by a public school employee or provided by an outside provider on behalf of a local education agency (LEA) as a mandated school-based service must be billed in a fashion that generates Medicaid Match on behalf of the LEA.
For more information, please contact:
Arkansas Department of Education
Four Capitol Mall, Mail Slot #14
- MITS Monthly Check-In Schedule 2022-2023
- MITS Underperforming Formula Instructions
- Parent fact sheet for Medicaid in the Schools
- eQHealth Solutions
- Arkansas Medicaid
- MITS Regional Advisor Map
- Joint Guidance on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)