Licensure by Reciprocity

What is licensure by Reciprocity?

  • Reciprocity means the recognition of a teaching license from another state or country based on the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) licensure rules and/or the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement for Educator Licensure.
  • Licensure in another state or country does not mean licensure in Arkansas will automatically be granted.

o   Type of license must be evaluated

*Ancillary requirements may apply

Reciprocity for Veterans and Military Families

The Arkansas Department of Education values our veterans, military, and family members. Our workforce, economic development, and students are all enhanced by their contributions. Act 820 of 2019 grants active duty service members, returning military veterans, and their spouses an automatic equivalent license if their license, issued by another state, territory, or district of the United States is in good standing. To expedite the licensure process, please identify yourself as a veteran or the spouse of an active-duty military member by sending an email with the valid standard educator’s license attached to

What steps must I take to apply for Reciprocity?

Request a Reciprocity packet from ADE by emailing (Please include a name and mailing address where you would like to receive the packet).

1.  Initiate the Background Check

2.  Submit completed packet:

  • Online Application that includes the $75.00 nonrefundable application fee.
  • Official Transcripts 
  • Copy of current or expired out-of-state educator/s license that has been in good standing for the educator's three most recent years of teaching experience.
  • Content area testing required for the out-of-state license, if applicable
  • Documentation of three years licensed teaching experience, if applicable
  • Verification of Teaching Form
  • National Board of Professional Teaching Standards certification, if applicable

What happens once I have submitted the above-listed documentation?

  • Evaluation of all documents
  • If applicable, a written response letter shall be sent to the educator within two weeks listing deficiencies.

When is a Provisional license available?

  • If all requirements for the standard license have been met except:

o   Content testing

o   Arkansas History (If applicable)

  • The verification of the provisional licensure eligibility form, VOPLE, will be sent when the applicant has submitted all documents required for the provisional license.
  • The Provisional license will be issued upon receipt of the signed VOPLE from the employing superintendent.

What licensure areas are required to take Arkansas History?

  • Early Childhood, Elementary Education, Middle Childhood Social Studies and Secondary Social Studies

Where can I take Arkansas History?

  • One of the accredited two or four-year institutions in Arkansas or
  • A 45 clock hour professional development course through Arkansas IDEAS

If Praxis exams are assessed, how do I register for them?

What additional items will I need if I am an educator from out of the country?

*Documentation of successful completion of the ADE-approved content area assessments must be submitted for the standard license.

For more information, please contact:

Office of Educator Licensure
Arkansas Department of Education
Four Capitol Mall, Room 106-B
Little Rock, AR 72201
Phone:  501-682-4342
Fax:  501-682-4898