The required training for paraprofessionals working with students with special needs consists of Modules on the Foundations in Special Education, Introduction to Behavior and Special Health Care Needs.
Foundations and Behavior (2017) - (6 credit hours total)
The Foundations and Behavior Modules are now available on ArkansasIDEAS. The six, one-hour Modules are also available to all certified teachers, administrators, and educational staff. These Modules are recognized by the ADE-SEU and have replaced the six-hour Modules, which were previously presented by PowerPoint.
- SPC17008 Foundations in Special Education: Major Components of IDEA
- SPC17009 Foundations in Special Education: Legal and Ethical Issues
- SPC17010 Foundations in Special Education: Roles and Responsibilities
- SPC17011 Introduction to Behavior: Supporting Effective Behavior
- SPC17012 Introduction to Behavior: General Classroom Management Systems
- SPC17013 Introduction to Behavior: Behavior Intervention Plans
Paraprofessionals may access these courses through ArkansasIDEAS by one of two options:
- Possessing an Arkansas Educator Licensure System (AELS) number
- Forwarding an email from their administrator that provides a brief rationale for the need of an account along with their full name, date of birth, phone number, job title, school district, and campus to the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the ArkansasIDEAS account is created, a confirmation email will be sent to the email address used to create the account. The link within that email must be used to complete the creation process.
Special Health Care Needs Training (2019) - (6 hours)
A Registered Nurse is required to provide this training. The training addresses issues on how to ensure safe and effective services for students with special health care needs and the role of the paraprofessional in providing those services.